Evidence shows that everyone benefits when schools and families work together:
• Improved student achievement
• Students exhibit more positive behaviour and attitudes
• Lower absenteeism
• Students have better social skills and adapt better to school
• An increased confidence among parents in their child’s schooling
• School communities grow stronger
Research confirms that effective parental involvement has a bigger impact on student success than family income or education level. From Kindergarten to Grade 12, students spend only 15% of their waking hours in school, emphasizing the point that parents are truly a child’s primary teacher.
How can you get involved?
• Join and/or attend your school Governing Board meetings.
• Join and/or attend Parent Committee.
• Join or attend Special Education Advisory Committee.
• Join your Parent Participation Organization.
• Join your Home and School Association